Here is my new recipe for a nutty protein bar:
· 1 cup of ground almonds
· 1 cup of desiccated coconut
· 60g of egg white powder (unflavoured) - whey protein (unflavoured) also works!
· 1 cup of sugar free peanut butter (or almond butter)
· 2 tbls of chia seeds (or sesame seeds or both)
· 1 tsp of cinnamon
· 1 tsp of sea salt
· 2 tbls of raw unpasteurised honey
· ½ cup of boiling water
· 75g of 85% dark chocolate
Grease and line a slice tin, I used a 25cm/19cm one.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the nut butter. Dissolve the honey into the water and then slowly add to the mixture until the right consistency. If it seems too sticky then don’t add all the water or if it seems too dry carefully add a bit more.
Break the chocolate into pieces and place them in a microwave safe bowl and melt it in the microwave for 30 secs, take out and repeat until completely melted.
Put the mixture in the tin, pressing down using the back of a spoon. Then pour over the melted chocolate, rotating until it is covered.
Place in the freezer for 30min. Cut and store in an air tight container in the fridge. I got 20 fingers-sized bars.
Someone certainly enjoyed helping and licking the bowl clean afterwards.